Fire the Ovens, Stir the Batter!
September is here!
A bit of a recap… I have been exploring gluten free options. Mostly because I don’t want to look half way pregnant after I eat a muffin, or feel wrenchingly sick after a sammich. So muffin mad mama is trying out different things. It has been a rough go, especially since my all time favourite go to snack most always involves bread things. Gawd how I love bread things! However, as most of you know, I also have a fully supported tostitos habit and potato addiction. So I have been surviving…
VIVE LE POMME DE TERRE!
But we miss the smell of baking. And the goodies that come forth with! Never fear! Good news comes in the form of a gluten free bag of masa flour. I think. The problem now is that in my enthusiasm for having finally gotten my hands on baked goods that don’t feel like ‘shrink wrapped crumbled something’ is that I just might have eaten too much. Anyway it has been a while since I posted a recipe or a story about my kitchen antics. So here you go;
Cranberry CornBread aka CornyCranCranLoaf
preheat oven 400
- 2 cups masa flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal (or whatever combination of both you want to use equalling the amount of 2 and 3/4 cups)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin (not even sure why I added this just really craving it?)
- 1 1/2 c butter milk (or sub in 1 c yogurt and 1/3 cup milk)
- 1/3 cup cooking oil (I buy sunflower for some reason so that is what I used, if you have a preference for butter, have at it!)
- 1/3 cup honey, Or 1 cup brown sugar stirred into 1/3 cup more oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cranberries of some sort – I had a can of chunky cranberry sauce around so that is what I used… I was going to use this jar of mango salsa I had because it was too sweet for just dipping into with yon tostitos, but that went into an omelette earlier… Probably a good thing too because without the cranberry the name of this whole thing would be totally different!
- after eating a few helpings, I am thinking a few other things would make this an even more tasty treat. Like orange zest and poppy seeds… A maple glaze even! (that can still be done!)
- Mix dry; whisk masa and corn meal together to blend, then add rest of dry
- toss cranberries into dry if using whole or dried berries. Do not add cran yet if using a wet type of cranberry sauce, like say the gelatinous goop out of a can (not judging, that is totally what I did because that is what I had around…). add that after wet has been added to dry, for Some reason…
- in a small bowl or mug, whisk eggs
- in a med bowl mix rest of wet; start w the buttermilk/yogurt and milk sub, and oil then beat in the whisked eggs, whisk in honey or sugar sub which you have already blended together, right?
- make a well in centre of dry
- stir in wet. don’t over mix, let it be clumpy. add wet cran sauce now, stir in nicely but again, don’t over mix.
spray or oil or grease a 9 inch tin baking pan
spread batter into prepped pan
bake for about 45 minutes, **
** but I’d check it at 25/30 minutes in case it bakes faster than mine did. Take out when thumb of oven mitt doesn’t squish it when you take it out to check. Or when the sides are golden brown and top is a bit dry. Or when batter doesn’t come off wet when you poke it with a tooth pick. You probably have your favourite method for knowing when things are ready, so I will leave it at that.
and that’s how I do Cranberry Cornmeal Bread aka CornyCranCranLoaf
Side note, I think it was a success and I might have found my baking substitute for good old flour… for about 5 minutes, I did have a bit of a stomach ache, but that is probably from the 2 servings I wolfed down and all the butter I slathered over it. PS The Boy Child approves and is glad to come home from school to the smelled of baking again…