Here is how to ensnare that Imaginary Boyfriend with
McDreamy Chocolate Chip Macadamia Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ scant tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1/3 + 1 tbsp butter, softened
1 ½ tsp hazelnut extract
1 large egg
¼ cup smoshed macadamia nuts
¼ cup your choice chocolate chips ( I like semi sweet mini)
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Lightly spoon flour into a med sized bowl, level with a knife
- Combine flour, rolled oats, baking powder, salt and soda
- Place sugars in a large bowl with butter. Beat with a mixer, or smush with a fork and then mix as best you can with a wooden spoon, if you don’t have a mixer
- Add hazelnut and egg, beat until blended
- Gradually add flour in mixture beating at low speed. I usually use a wooden spoon for this part, or my hands. I have a slightly rational fear of over mixing the dough.
- Smosh the macadamia nuts by spooning them into a cereal bowl, and using the bottom of the measuring cup to sort of grind them until they are the size you want them to be. I go for about the same size as the choco chippies. The smoshed macadamia nuts don’t have to be uniform in size.
- Stir in the nuts and chocochips.
- Drop dough by tablespoons 2 inches apart, or just squish little dough balls with your finger tips, onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. See ** Below!
- Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned
- Cool on pan for 2 minutes, remove and cool on a wire rack.
** What I Really like to do is separate the dough into 2 portions. Squeeze half into a ball form and put in fridge. Drop the other half onto the baking tray in preferred method.
- Then, while the first tray is baking off, I like to use the slightly chilled dough (the chilling helps keep its form and gets it out of the way so you don’t just eat it raw while dropping the first portion onto tray). Take out of fridge, place on one end of a piece of parchment paper, fold paper over so covering and roll out, either with a rolling pin, jar/bottle side or just by smooshing with your hand some. I don’t do them too thin.
- Then, use a cookie cutter (heart shaped is probably best if you are still hoping to stalk that super cute mail man!) to cut out the 2nd batch of cookies. Lay those on a baking tray with a finger space between.
- Once the 1st tray is done,bake these, also at 350 for 12 minutes, cool and rack.
- Or, if you are a sane person not trying to charm the wits off the mail man, or your kids won’t appreciate the heart shaped cookies, just do the 2nd tray like the first, without bothering with the whole refrigerating thing. However, I am of the opinion that shaped cookies are even tastier, and besides, our oven is really small. So I vote shaped cookies. Besides, when you are alone dreaming of some dreamy dream boat over your tea, a heart shaped cookie will be way more fun to dunk. (Imagine if I had the funds to mail some of these babies to myself! That would get him to my door!)
Dream on and Enjoy!